On January 9, 1917, the seven-year-old veteran campaigner Leochares (Broomstick) carried 130 lbs. while scoring a runaway ten-length win in a purse at New Orleans’ Crescent City Race Course. His final time of 1:12 equaled the track record set by the Bonnie Joe mare Useeit on January 29, 1915.
Fresh off of this outstanding effort, Leochares would take to the track again at Crescent City on February 16 in the six furlong Momus Highweight Handicap, where despite shouldering a crushing burden of 145 lbs., he would once again equal the track record in recording a half-length win over J. J. Murdock (Contestor).
Leochares would ultimately set or equal at least the following records over the course of his career:
- ETR at Aqueduct (9/17/1917): 6.5f in 1:18 (carrying 124 lbs.).
- ETR at New Orleans [Crescent City] (2/16/1917): 6f in 1:12 in the Momus Highweight H. (carrying 145 lbs.).
- ETR at New Orleans [Crescent City] (01/09/1917): 6f in 1:12 (carrying 130 lbs.).
- NTR at Bowie (11/24/1916): 1 mi. in 1:41 in the Terminal Purse (carrying 114 lbs.), defeating Bondage.
- NTR at Pimlico (11/04/1916): 6f in 1:11 ⅘ in the Pimlico Fall Serial Handicap No. 1 (carrying 133 lbs.), defeating Prince of Como, Rhine Maiden, Runes.
- NTR at Fort Erie (08/05/1914): 6f in 1:11 ⅖ (carrying 102 lbs.), defeating Little Nephew, Pan Zareta.
- EAR at Louisville [Douglas Park] (10/03/1913): 6f in 1:10 ⅘ (carrying 109 lbs.), defeating Helios, Iron Mask, Helen Barbee, Pan Zareta.
- NTR at Louisville [Douglas Park] (09/26/1913): 1 mi. in 1:37 ¾ (carrying 101 lbs.), defeating Kleburne, Prince Hermis.