September 1883: Prince Charlie (GB) arrives in New York

“He is the largest thoroughbred I ever saw,” said Mr. W. L. Jones, of Kentucky, “and I have been among them all my life.” Mr. Jones referred to Prince Charlie, the famous race horse just imported by Mr. Daniel Swigert, owner of the late Mr. M. H. Sanford’s model breeding farm, near Lexington, Ky. Mr. Jones had come to take Prince Charlie to his new home.

The horse stood in a strong, narrow box, near a great open hatchway in the steamship Notting Hill last evening. The drizzling rain poured into the ship, and everything was wet, musty, and dirty. By some mismanagement the horse was compelled to remain another night in the box into which he had been unwillingly forced nineteen days ago. He had remained on his legs all that time, and for several days, while seasick, had not eaten a mouthful. Still he was a grand-looking horse of king-like proportions.

He is seventeen hands high, of chestnut color, with white face and white stockings behind. His head and neck resemble Longfellow’s in shape, but are of much larger proportions. He has an enormous, symmetrical frame, which is well filled, notwithstanding his somewhat long voyage. His legs are clean and firm, and not over large for a thoroughbred of his size. He has large, kindly eyes. He looked his visitors over, and, pricking his ears and raising his head toward the hatchway, seemed to plead to be taken from the ship.

Prince Charlie is 14 years old. He was sired by Blair Athol, dam Eastern Princess, by Surplice, son of Touchstone and Crucifix. He defeated some of the best English horses during his racing days, winning the two thousand guineas and finishing second for the St. Leger. He became a roarer, and was withdrawn from the turf. Since then he has sired Prestonpans and other fast horses. Mr. Swigert hopes that the progeny of this great horse and his renowned Lexington mares will develop amazing speed and staying power.

Mr. Jones said that he would take Prince Charlie to the American horse exchange this morning, and give him a rest until Thursday before shipping him to Kentucky.”
(From the New York Sun as republished in the Daily American (Nashville, TN), 09/28/1883)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s